Friends of Bushey Museum was formed in 1985 to support the Bushey Museum Trust in all its activities, including the setting up and running the Bushey Museum and providing a wider focus for anyone interested in the history of Bushey. It supports everyone interested in the Museum, the history of Bushey, and also to raise funds for new acquisitions for the Museum. The Friends of Bushey Museum is one of the largest such organisations in the UK: there are currently around 700 members. Friends of Bushey Museum is a registered charity with the Charity Commission in England and Wales No. 1039713.
What are the benefits to being a Friend?
There are many! And they include:
- A Newsletter, issued every 3 months, to keep you up-to-date with what all the Events and Meetings that the Friends are doing and planning, together with all the latest news of the Museum.
- An annual Journal which features a wide range of interesting articles about Bushey and its history.
- Attend regular Outings during the year to fascinating places of interest (application needed), see details of the upcoming Outings here.
- Attend regular Talks throughout the year, including topics on Bushey and subjects of more general interest, see details of upcoming Talks here.
Interested in joining the Friends?
Great! Either come and talk to us, or download the Membership Form here. Or both!
How else can you help as a Friend?
There are so many ways that the Friends are involved in supporting and promoting the Bushey Museum. Some of these are:
- Stewarding of Bushey Museum as well as helping at stands and sales tables at events such as the Friends' Annual Summer Garden Party. Fund raising is an important part of the activities of the Friends - to purchase items for the museum and to provide display equipment, documentation for indexing and cataloguing of the collections, etc.
- Staffing the Museum Shop which is well-stocked with books and pamphlets of local interest, both historical and relating to Bushey art and artists, and many of which are published by the Museum. In conjunction with the Museum Trust, the Friends have reproduced greetings cards and postcards of notable works of art relating to Bushey or by well-known Bushey artists: these are also on sale at the Museum Shop, as well as at number from local shops.
- Other voluntary activities which Members take part in include helping with the distribution of newsletters, packaging greetings cards, serving on book and card stalls etc. Let us know if you are interested!
- Helping with documentary research which is carried out regularly at Bushey Museum in Rudolph Road. Many members also contribute by contributing to special projects on many aspects of Bushey life. For example the Oral History Group records memories of local residents in order to build a picture of Bushey past and present. If you would like to help with this Group or are interested in taking part, please phone the Museum 020 8420 4057.
Many Members simply to attend meetings and social events or just keep in touch through the regular free publications. Whatever your inclination, by joining the Friends of Bushey Museum, you will be making an important contribution towards preserving the rich heritage of our historic village. Whatever your preference, supporting you as a Friend will be our privilege!
The Constitution of the Friends of Bushey Museum is available here.
The membership options are given below:
|Annual membership subscriptions||Cost|
|Single, with printed Newsletter delivered||£15|
|Single, with Newsletter by email||£14|
|Joint/Family (2 adults plus children under 16yrs at the same address) with printed Newsletter delivered||£19|
|Joint/Family (2 adults plus children under 16yrs at the same address) with Newsletter by email||£18|
|Corporate (schools, businesses, clubs, etc.)||£25|
|Life Membership, Single||£150|
|Life Membership, Joint (2 adults only at the same address)||£180|